Apple puree is suitable from 4 months of age. It is a speedy, simple way to cook an apple for baby’s puree. It can be eaten on its own or added to other foods. Do not add sugar – baby doesn’t need it.
Makes about ½ cup apple puree.
1 medium-sized eating apple (eg. Braeburn, Granny Smith, Pacific Rose)
Microwave method. Tested in an 800watt oven.
- Wash and dry apple. Use an apple corer to remove core and stem.
With a sharp knife make a shallow cut just through the apple skin, going right around the middle (equator), then right around from stem to blossom end. This divides skin into 8 sections for easy peeling later.
- Place apple in an oven-glass bowl or casserole, cover, then microwave on Full Power for 4 ½ minutes.
- Leave apple to cool until you can handle it.
- Use a teaspoon to scoop apple flesh away from skin. Discard skin. Either puree apple using a hand-held electric blender, or rub apple through a sieve to ensure no little tough bits remain. Thin if necessary with a little boiled water.
- Serve warm or cool, or use in PINK APPLE PUDD recipe below.
KARICARE PINK APPLE PUDDING
Suitable from 6 months
Karicare formula powder sweetens the apple flavour slightly and the blackcurrant syrup adds extra vitamin C.
Makes ¼ cup.
¼ cup apple puree
1 scoop of Karicare First or Follow-On formula powder
¼ teaspoon Barker’s Blackcurrant syrup
- Just before serving, use a fork to whisk the formula powder and blackcurrant syrup into the apple puree.