This is a tasty treat that doesn’t contain too much sugar. It also provides your child with a good source of calcium and iron.
Makes about 1 cup.
1 cup (250ml) prepared Karicare Follow-On formula or Toddler Milk or standard milk
¼ teaspoon finely grated orange rind
1 ½ teaspoons sugar
1 egg yolk*
1 tablespoon semolina
¼ teaspoon vanilla essence (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice*
- In a small saucepan, heat ¾ cup of the milk with sugar and grated rind, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until almost simmering. Remove from the heat.
- Beat or whisk remaining milk with egg yolk and semolina. Stir this into hot milk (use a rubber scraper to ensure all semolina mixture goes in).
- Return pan to heat, stirring constantly, until custard comes to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring for a few more minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat – it will thicken more on cooling.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before adding (optional) vanilla. When cool add orange juice.
- Serve cool, as is, or with fruit.
* For babies over 12 months, use 1 whole egg instead of egg yolk. Add 2 tablespoons of orange juice.