Babytimes Recipe Competition Winner!
Congratulations to Rachel Hawkins of Browns Bay, Auckland, winner of the Babytimes recipe competition.
We liked this recipe’s use of red lentils and savoury flavours. A lot of parents would like to use lentils but don’t know how to use them, so this recipe shows how easy it is to incorporate them into a meal. Lentils are an alternative to meat as a source of protein. The optional grated cheese will also provide extra flavour, calcium and protein into baby’s diet.
Baby’s first vegetable curry
Suitable from 9 months of age
½ small onion (diced)
½ tsp curry powder
Small amount of butter (or oil)
½ tsp ground cumin
1 Cup water
2 Tbsp red split lentils
1 orange kumara
Grated cheese (optional)
- Sauté onion in butter (or oil).
- Add ½ tsp curry powder and ½ tsp ground cumin.
- When the onion is soft, add water, red split lentils, carrots, kumara and potato. Bring to the boil and then simmer until the water has mainly been absorbed by the vegetables and the dhal (lentils).
- If the vegetables are not quite soft add more water as needed.
- Once the vegetables are soft, mash or puree the vegetable curry and serve.
Grated cheese can be added on serving if wanted.
Orange french toast