Orange Kumara Puree and Banana Delicious!
Orange Kumara Puree
Suitable from 6 months
A little fresh orange juice adds vitamin C and flavour to this delicious puree. The optional scoopful of formula powder gives a valuable nutrient boost.
Makes 1 cup of puree
150-200g orange or gold kumara (or 1 generous cup, peeled and diced)
3-4 tablespoons water (for microwave method) or 1 cup water (for saucepan method)
1-2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
1 scoop of Karicare Follow-On formula powder (optional)
Microwave method. Tested in an 800 watt oven.
- Peel kumara and cut into cubes.
- Place kumara and water in a small oven-glass bowl or casserole. Cover and microwave on Full Power for 4 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 4 minutes. (Take care removing lid – steam can burn.)
- Puree the cooked kumara with liquid using a hand-held electric blender.
- In a small saucepan boil diced kumara with 1 cup of water, covered, for about 10 to 14 minutes until tender. Drain liquid into a bowl.
- Using a hand-held blender puree kumara in the saucepan, adding some of the cooking liquid as needed to get a moist, soft puree.
Blend in orange juice.
Optional: use a fork to beat in formula powder just before serving.
Suitable from 6 months
It is easy to boost nutrients in fruit purees with two scoops of Karicare Follow-On Gold or Toddler Gold formula. In this recipe cooked banana is sweet and creamy-soft, with orange juice adding flavour and Vitamin C – delicious.
Makes about ½ cup
Microwave recipe, tested in an 800 watt oven.
1 medium-sized ripe banana
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
2 scoops Karicare Follow-On Gold or Toddler Gold formula powder
About 1 tablespoon boiled, cooled water
- Cut off both ends of the banana. Use a sharp knife to cut a slit through the skin, end to end.
- Place banana on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 2-3 minutes (depending on size), until flesh is golden and evenly cooked through. (Skin splits open on cooking.)
- Cool banana until you can handle it.
- Scoop out banana flesh into a dessert dish and mash with a fork.
- Gradually add orange juice, mixing to make a smooth puree.
- Mix in the Karicare formula powder until smooth.
- If necessary thin with a little boiled cooled water to the right consistency for your baby.